Rainforest vs. Rainforest Classic
- Rainforest Tests - Quickly capture UI element with screenshots
- Rainforest Tests provide easy and efficient test writing for desktop applications. Test execution may be done via Automation Service, Tester Community or On-Premise Testers.
- Rainforest Classic tests - Detail your test case line by line
- Rainforest Classic tests allow you to write instructions via a free-form English testing writing interface. Tests may be run on desktop applications, mobile browsers, and mobile applications. Test execution is done via the Tester Community or On-Premise Testers.
Rainforest Tests are built on actions, assertions, and elements. Think of them as verbs and nouns.
Click (Action / Verb) on the Red button (Element / Noun)
- Actions such as
Navigateare used to mimic how a person would interact with the site.
- In addition to actions, Rainforest needs to know what to take action on. This is referred to this as the Element or Target. These are items such as a button or text box.
- When you combine an Action and an Element, you have created a step that can be executed by either the Automation Service or Tester Community.
- Multiple steps that are used over and over may be grouped together into an Embedded test. More about this later.
The editor groups these to make it easier to find and use.
Actions provide direction on what interaction is required such as a
Click on a button or
Navigate to a URL.
Action Options provide additional control over the action.
Click can be done using the left, middle, or right mouse button.
Navigate may be done via the current tab, a new tab, or an incognito tab.
Note: Click and hold will require a number of seconds.
Drag and drop
Combines Click and Type
Default: current tab
See Press section below
Note: Up to 25 scrolls can happen with one scroll action. If a page is longer then two scroll actions may be needed.
Note: test will need to be executed by the Tester Community if this step is used.
Press Sends a single key or key combination
Along with keys such as 'c', 'a', 'v', the following are also acceptable:
Backspacewhen in a text box, deletes one character from the cursor location.
Enteruse Enter instead of Return.
NOTE: We have made it easy for you, just start typing in the key field and available options will show for selection!
The Modifier is an additional key that is used at the same time to modify the action. It is optional and should be left blank if not needed. Common modifiers are:
Control + cto copy.
Commandkey can be used for MacOS.
Supercan be used on Windows tests to act as the
NOTE: Currently does not support three key
combinations such as
ACTION MODIFIER KEY New Tab Control T Copy Control C Paste Control V Open File Control O Focus Next (none) Tab Focus Previous Shift Tab ! Shift 1
Here's a demo of how it works:
Assertions are actions that confirm a specific behavior such as a page loading, an element being present or not or if a behavior has occurred.
Any test that has a Tester Confirmation
Alphabetically ists all the tests that can be embedded into the current test.
Any test created in Rainforest may be embedded into any other Rainforest test.
Embedding a test is beneficial for steps that are used in several tests, such as logging in, creating an account, etc.
See Embedded Tests for additional information.
NOTE: If you had previously used Custom Actions, those tests are available for use but are shown as Embedded Tests.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] or through Intercom!
Updated a day ago