Rainforest vs. Rainforest Classic
- Rainforest Tests - Quickly capture UI element with screenshots
- Rainforest Tests provide easy and efficient test writing for desktop applications. Test execution may be done via Automation Service, Tester Community or On-Premise Testers.
- Rainforest Classic tests - Detail your test case line by line
- Rainforest Classic tests allow you to write instructions via a free-form English testing writing interface. Tests may be run on desktop applications, mobile browsers, and mobile applications. Test execution is done via the Tester Community or On-Premise Testers.
Rainforest Tests are Rainforest's unique and powerful automation offering. Test are written at the UI level and interact directly with the UI elements selected. Rainforest Tests may be run by either our Automation Service or by manual QA testers in the Tester Community.
An introduction to Rainforest Tests and Automation Service
Creating an end-to-end Signup Test
Not compatible with mobile
Optimized for a single browser
A test can only be run against the browser it was created in when executed by the Automation ServiceAutomation Service - Automated browser execution of tests. The quickest and most cost-effective way to get test results, powered by our network of virtual machines. '. When executed by the Tester CommunityTester Community - Human execution of tests. Harness the ingenuity of on-demand QA Testers. Pay more and wait longer to get test results but get a more detailed output. or On-Premise TestersOn-Premise Testers - Use your own team of in-house testers to get test results., it is compatible with multiple browsers.
Dynamic data can be used for data entry via step variables, but the automation agent cannot check values on future steps.
Ex: Dynamic user is named “Fred”, but it can't check that “Fred” is now logged in
Calendar and other mathematical manipulation
Ex: Can’t ask to advance the date by 3 days
Ex: Can’t ask to confirm appropriate sales tax was added to a random item
No DevX/RFML equivalent for Rainforest Tests
Can't edit RFML versions of the tests, but tests can be executed via CLI. See Rainforest Automation: Executing Tests for details.
Automation ServiceAutomation Service - Automated browser execution of tests. The quickest and most cost-effective way to get test results, powered by our network of virtual machines. cannot execute steps that require human judgment
Ex: “Is this a picture of a dog?” This type of step may be written in the test using the Tester Confirmation assertion. See Rainforest Tests: Actions, Assertions and Embedded Tests for more information. A Tester Conformation can only be executed against the Tester Community or On-Premise Testers at the moment.
As noted prior, Rainforest Tests use image matching at the UI level. Image matching is done using grayscale and not color values. Greyscale is used so the imaging matching is more resilient.
Color matching cannot be reliably tested today. If specific color matching is necessary for the test (i.e. it is important that the button is specifically green or red), Rainforest Tests should be run using the Tester CommunityTester Community - Human execution of tests. Harness the ingenuity of on-demand QA Testers. Pay more and wait longer to get test results but get a more detailed output. or On-Premise TestersOn-Premise Testers - Use your own team of in-house testers to get test results..
See Content Matching for additional information on optimizing matching.
- Image matching is sensitive to edges/contrast in images, grayscale matching is less sensitive to absolute values.
- Small differences in large otherwise-identical targets are more likely to be ignored.
- When selecting a UI element for comparison, ensure the correct amount is selected for comparison. If a large sample is selected, small differences within the selection may be ignored. If a small amount is selected for comparison, any differences will be more noticeable. If the details matter, focus the target on those details.
Can’t test mouse cursor appearance.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] or through Intercom!
Updated 11 days ago