TestRail is used by many Rainforest customers to house many of their existing test cases. When customers begin using Rainforest, they find that they would like to offload tests that are ready for their smoke or regression suites from TestRail into Rainforest.
You can now import test cases directly from TestRail into the Rainforest Test Writing Service to have them converted into Rainforest tests and run any time.
The TestRail import to the Test Writing Service requires:
- Using TestRail versions 5.2 or later
- Using the organization of Projects, Suites, and Test Cases
- Using out-of-the-box fields of custom_step_results , custom_preconds, custom_steps_separated, which Rainforest will import from
Navigate to the Test Builder in the left panel, click the New Test Suite Request button, and select "Import from TestRail" from the options.
You will need:
- Your TestRail instance URL (i.e. https://mycompany.testrail.io)
- The username that connects to your TestRail ([email protected])
- An API Key. Generate an API Key from "My Settings" in your TestRail instance. Instructions here.
No, the TestRail Import to the Test Writing Service (TWS) is a one-way import.
Similar to converting tests to an automated script, our customers typically prepare what tests they want to import into Rainforest, import them, and then run them and keep them up-to-date within Rainforest.
No, TestRail does not store the screenshots in their API. This means screenshots can't be imported.
No. If a test you are importing has "Completed test 12345 as a precondition for the test, testers will not know what test 12345 is. It's important you explain what test 12345 is and review your tests before submitting the TWS request so that test writers have clarity on what to include in the test.
Absolutely! The 20 tests per import is a limit meant to help you prioritize exactly what tests you would like to import into Rainforest.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] or through Intercom!
Updated 3 days ago