Rainforest supports the testing of native iOS and Android phone and tablet applications with our Mobile Application testing. Rainforest uses the terms Mobile Application and Native Mobile App interchangeably and both refer to actual apps that need to be downloaded and installed on mobile devices. For additional context see the following articles:
- Supported Web Browsers and Mobile Device Specs
- Setting up your mobile apps for testing with Rainforest to properly set your mobile apps for testing
- Run apps on the Android Emulator for details on creating Android app tests on a Virtual Machine (VM) running Android Emulator.
Ensure your mobile application(s) are set up in your Sites and Environments before proceeding. Learn about Setting up your mobile apps for testing with Rainforest.
- Create a new test for your native iOS or Android application.
- Navigate to Tests page from the left navigation bar (paper doc)
- Click Create Test from the top right.
- Select Native Mobile App from What type of test?
- Select desired mobile application for Which build do you want to test?
- Select Create Test.
As Rainforest will automatically download, install, and start your application for testing, you can only select iOS or Android VMs once you run the test.
- From the individual test, select the Run button
- Update the Name of the run if desired
- Select the Environment to run the test
- Select the Platform(s) you would like to test on.
- Click Start Run to begin your run!
In most cases, a company’s web app and Mobile app are fundamentally different, so you will not be able to reuse your existing web tests for your native app. However, in some cases, you can (and should!) reuse the work that you have already done. If your mobile and web apps are very similar, you can simply copy the appropriate tests for your web app to a new test for your mobile application.
Mobile application and web application tests are separated in the Rainforest interface since they cannot share a starting URL.
- The URL for a web browser test serves as a director for the testers
- The URL for a mobile application test is a source, where Rainforest will access and install the application.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] or through Intercom!
Updated 3 months ago