How it works:
Mobile web and native mobile applications can now be tested with Rainforest Exploratory testing through Rainforest's mobile virtual machines. To test mobile web applications, testers will utilize the mobile browser installed on the selected mobile platform to execute the Exploratory testing. To test native applications, the tested application must be set up in Rainforest in same manner for Rainforest regression testing for testers to access it.
Input instructions for Mobile Web Exploratory testing
Inputting instructions for Mobile Web Exploratory testing differs slightly between runs intended to test out a mobile website versus a native mobile application. While both types of runs require inputting instructions into the Exploratory instruction form, what is inputted into the URL field differs based on the type of run.
For a mobile web Exploratory run, the URL inputted is usually the same URL as for the desktop web version of the application. You will just need to select the mobile virtual machines that you'd like for your Exploratory testers to test on.
Input instructions for Native Application Exploratory testing
Inputting instructions for native application Exploratory testing is slightly more complex than mobile web Exploratory testing as there is some setup required before hand. First to note, to have Exploratory testers conduct testing on a mobile application, that application must be set up in Rainforest. See here for details on how to set up your Android application for testing and here for setting up an iOS application.
To direct testers to your mobile application in the URL field of the Exploratory instruction form, input the source URL that points to your application in the URL field; this will indicate to our testers to use Rainforest VMs to access your application. Please also be sure to select the correct mobile virtual machines in the browser selection panel!
Frequently asked questions about Rainforest Mobile Exploratory
What can be tested with Rainforest Mobile Exploratory?
- Rainforest Mobile Exploratory can be used to test mobile websites and native mobile applications.
What platforms are available for Mobile Exploratory?
- Rainforest Mobile Exploratory is executed on Rainforest Android and iOS mobile virtual machines.
- Rainforest Mobile Exploratory cannot be executed today on real devices.
- For a complete list of Rainforest mobile VMs, please see our list of supported platforms.
Can I run Mobile Exploratory against both Android and iOS VMs in the same run?
- Yes you can! With Rainforest Exploratory, it is possible to select up to 3 different supported platforms for any bug-finding Exploratory run.
- To learn more, please also check out our Mobile Exploratory best practices.
Can I run Exploratory against both a desktop and mobile version of a site in the same run?
- Yes! For the same reason above, it is possible to choose both desktop and mobile platforms for the same Exploratory run.
Are videos available for Mobile Exploratory runs?
- Videos that document bugs that our testers uncover are available with Rainforest Mobile Exploratory like with Rainforest desktop web Exploratory.
- Because Mobile Exploratory is executed in Rainforest mobile VMs, videos documenting uncovered bugs will capture the bug as it manifested in the VM.
Are Mobile application logs available for Mobile Exploratory runs?
- Application logs for Mobile Exploratory runs are not currently available.
Mobile Web Exploratory
How do I set up my mobile site for Mobile Exploratory testing?
- To set up your site for Mobile Exploratory testing, first input the site URL into the URL field of the Exploratory instruction for.
- Second, select the mobile web virtual machines that you'd like to run these tests on. It is possible to select up to 3 different supported mobile platforms for any 1 run of Mobile Exploratory
- Optionally, noting in the "Areas of Focus" section that testers are testing a mobile site; this would provide additional clarity.
What browsers are available for Mobile Web Exploratory?
- Mobile Web Exploratory is executed on the mobile browser that the chosen supported platform is equipped with.
- Android mobile VMs are equipped with the latest version of Chrome.
- iOS Mobile VMs feature a Mobile version of Safari 10.0
Native Mobile Exploratory
How do I set up my native mobile application for Mobile Exploratory testing?
- As Rainforest Mobile Exploratory is executed in Rainforest Mobile VMs, mobile applications must be set up so that they download and installed in the VM before the testing can take place.
- For detailed instructions on how to set up your iOS native mobile application on a iOS VM please see our guide here.
- For detailed instructions on how to set up your Android native mobile application for testing on an Android VM please see our guide here.