Frequently asked questions about Rainforest Mobile testing with Android and iOS Virtual Machines
What testers can interact with while testing:
Can photos be uploaded?
- Yes, as long as they are downloaded to the phone. There is a set of preloaded images ready to use. More info on the images can be found here.
Can we test videos on mobile devices, i.e. if a video loads, if you can watch it, etc?
- Yes - in-app videos can be played and viewed on our Mobile VMs.
Can we configure the geo settings for the mobile VMs?
- There are two ways. We can set the geolocation similarly to the way we’d configure for a web test to test from a specific location.
- It is also possible to instruct testers to configure the GPS settings of the VM they're using for region testing. See this article for details on how to do this.
Are Mobile VMs simulators or emulators?
- The iOS VM is a Simulator.
- The Android VM is the official Google Android emulator running on a computer, instead of a phone. This means that Android testing very closely reflects behavior on a real device.
Can I see the address of my business on a map/interact with different built-in phone functionality?
- You can interact with pretty much any app that’s preloaded on the VM
- Location functionality (like seeing the drop marker for your business on a map, etc) works.
Can you log in with social credentials?
- Yes, logging in your app with social (Facebook) credentials will work.
Is it only WiFi connection?
- It’s actually a cabled connection. The iOS and Android VMs will display this connection as a wifi connection, but since it’s a simulator it actually uses the VM connection.
Where does the connection come from? Is this different from VM to device?
- Like Rainforest web regression, all Mobile VM default traffic originates in Germany. Whitelist our IPs to ensure testers can access your environment.
What cannot be tested on our mobile VMs?
Can I make Phone Calls?
- No. There is no phone functionality.
Can I use TestFlight?
- No. The App Store is not supported on Device Farm or simulators so TestFlight is also not supported.
Does camera functionality work?
- Currently, we only support cameras for Android Emulators, but not iOS.
- Our Mobile VMs come preloaded with a set of images in their image gallery. Also, as long as photos can be downloaded, they can also be uploaded.
Can you receive SMS or text messages in the VM's inbox?
- No, neither the iOS nor Androids VMs have a mobile number/sim card attached to them. However, Rainforest offers customers dedicated private SMS numbers that can only be used by testers in their specific account. These are unique, static numbers that are not shared with other clients. Customers are free to use these phone numbers however they wish. This can be used for test cases that require testers to receive messages to a specific phone number that’s preconfigured in the database, for example for two-factor authentication.
Can degraded data coverage be simulated?
- Today degraded data coverage is not supported. However, we do plan to support different options for connectivity in the future.
Mobile Set Up FAQ
What platforms are represented on mobile VMs?
Please see this article on our supported platforms.
What does a user need to do to set up their mobile app for testing on a VM?
Please see our documentation on setting up your mobile applications!
If you have any questions about Rainforest Mobile testing not covered here, please let us know at email@example.com!