Rainforest QA is committed to providing secure, reliable crowdsourced testing to our customers. Our network of crowdsourced testers is made up of thousands of people from around the world. The Rainforest Crowd is a wonderful, diverse group of people who test your applications!
Who our testers are
Our testers come from all around the world, with a majority located in South America, Europe, and India. They come from a variety of backgrounds including (but not limited to) teaching, writing, computer science, stay-at-home parenthood, and of course - Quality Assurance!
Where we find our testers
Rainforest testers were originally sourced through Amazon Mechanical Turk and CrowdFlower (now Figure Eight). Both services are dedicated to crowd provisioning and management, and provided us with the first check of workers’ identity and payment information verification.
The testers are now Rainforest QA proprietary crowd, managed by a dedicated Community Team here at Rainforest QA. The majority of our tester crowd has been with Rainforest for 2-3 years, and we have not recruited additional testers in recent years. Instead, we've focused on improving the skills of our existing community, and providing them with an improved infrastructure and user experience.
Types of testers that work for us
In addition to the testers who perform the majority of the tests you see in Rainforest, we also have:
- Exploratory Testers: highly skilled testers recruited to perform freeform Exploratory testing.
- Super Testers: a highly and specialized skilled group of testers who help us with a variety of tasks, such as important test(er) quality initiatives and beta testing new tester-facing features
- Test Writers: a subset of Super Testers also known as test authors, who write tests for clients. These testers have been trained specifically on the various aspects and nuances of Rainforest test writing.
Our tester community is managed by a dedicated Community Team that works closely with product managers and engineers to create features that improve the everyday workflow of our testers.
If you want to get to know a few of our testers a bit better, you can check out our series of 'Tester spotlight' articles from the blog.
Quality Control from Rainforest's Side
Delivering high quality results is our number one priority. This is the core of Rainforest and the following is a high level guide to how we do Quality Control (QC).
Every tester on Rainforest has a reputation score that is constantly adjusted and updated based on their work. This is the foundation of our QC process.
Factors that impact a tester's reputation score:
- Their agreement or disagreement with high ranking testers
- Their agreement or disagreement with low ranking testers
- Performance in our training tasks
- Performance in challenge questions about our rules
- Their response time to new Rainforest jobs
Every tester goes through automated training, both at the beginning of their testing career and on an ongoing basis. This training is multi-faceted, some of the things that we focus on with training are:
- English comprehension and writing
- Ability to follow nuanced instructions
- Ability to correctly identify and categorize bugs
- Ability to intuitively understand web interfaces
We algorithmically review all results from testers in real time. This ensures high quality results while maintaining the speed that we're known for. We do continue to update our algorithm and take the following into account:
- Agreement with other testers (weighted by reputation)
- Past history of test
- Interactions by the tester with your website
- Interactions by the tester across the rest of their system during the test