Draft Mode is an improved workflow for writing, editing, and optimizing tests.
As part of the flow, when a test is run in Draft Mode, Rainforest testers will provide feedback on the test, allowing you to incorporate it so you can improve the test before setting it live. Draft Mode helps you:
- Create passing tests faster
- Provide you an improved workflow for moving new tests into a ready state
- Separate tests that are being worked on from tests that are live and running
Draft State and Publish
All tests created from the UI start in a Draft State. This allows you to craft tests so they won’t be accidentally run alongside Published tests or block a Run Group. Once you are ready to set the test live, you can Publish it knowing that your test is accurately written and ready to provide you QA coverage.
A Draft State test:
- DRAFT is noted at top of test writing page
- Has a yellow bar at the top noting This test is currently in draft state and is disabled from running until published
- Run button is updated to Run Draft
- Test results are on the Draft Runs page as compared to the Runs page
- Tests shown on the Tests page have a yellow square with a pencil. Please note disabled tests have a similar icon
Runninga Draft Test
- Select Run Draft
- Select a browser from the pop up window.
NOTE: a test may only be run on one browser in Draft Mode
Draft Tests will only be run on a single browsers and only a single tester will be used to run it. The tester will validate the test and pass or fail it as appropriate. However their focus is to provide feedback, as warranted so that your test not only passes, but the instructions are clear and easily understandable.
Tests run in Draft Mode will be returned on the Draft Runs page.
- Select Results
- Select Draft Runs
- Comments left by testers are indicated by a BLUE chat icon
To view feedback from testers (after it has been run), click the comment icon to see comments as left my the tester. There may be multiple comments provided
Set to Published State
Once you are satisfied with the test you may publish it. Published the test will run using multiple testers and may be run on multiple browsers as well. Testers will still provide feedback as they see necessary, but the focus will be to run the test and pass or fail it.
To set a test to published, once you are in the test:
- Select Publish OR
- Select the Down Arrow next to Run Draft and select Publish Test
Set to Draft State
You may set a published test back to Draft at any time
To set a test to Draft, once you are in the test:
- Select Down Arrow next to Run and select Set Test to Draft
Draft Tests Management
To view your draft tests, click on Tests side navigation tab and “Draft Tests”. This shows you which tests are still being written or updated so you can focus on your top priorities. You can also see which tests have feedback from testers – just look for the comment icon next to the test title.
Viewing Draft Run Results
In the Results side navigation tab, clicking on “Draft Runs” shows you all of the tests that have run as a draft. Non-Draft runs will appear under “Runs”.
CLI Functionality for Draft and Publish
The draft feature is compatible for CLI and DevX users. New tests uploaded or created via the CLI or API do not start in draft state automatically though.
To set a test to a Draft state, use the headers # state: draft.
For more documentation on the Rainforest CLI, please see our CLI read me.